Thursday, October 22, 2009

Discipline


We all have our special bag of tricks when it comes to disciplining our children. I don't really have a "bag" or "tricks" but I do have a very scary mad face and a scarcastic tone that could make any child cry. I have put those aside though, seeing the error of my ways, and tried some alternative methods to get my boys to do what I tell them to do.
Usually, it isn't bad because I am a mom that does almost everything for my kids. I hand them their daily change of clothes, including the underwear so they remember to change them. I pick up after them and I pick up after them....it's a never-ending task. I remind them every morning to eat something and to brush their teeth. Lightbulb switch: ON! This is why they don't do anything that I tell them to do when I want them to do it. I've been doing it for them. Duh! They complain that they don't know how to fold their clothes or empty the dishwasher. It's because I was too-good-of-a-mom to teach them to do it for themselves.
We are in our transition phase now where the kids still do a lot of "..but I can't..." or "...but I don't know how...". It's become a challenge because of all of the teaching-to that I feel like I am doing, but it is paying off. Bryson can now empty the entire dishwasher without a single complaint, although there is no rhyme-or-reason as to the organization of the tupperware (see above picture). Another lesson for another day. Cayden had a HUGE breakthrough this afternoon after a bunny poop meltdown. He "just couldn't keep the bag open while he scooped the poop into it." Not only did he learn a more efficient way to bag poop, he understood that when he is respectful to his mom by doing what he is asked to do, he is contributing to his family and will reap the rewards and privliges of being a part of it (playing soccer, watching t.v., eating McDonald's, making smoothies...all of the most important things in life).
It was all done without a scream or fist-pump. With just a little crying and a lot of love, we were able to bag that poop up....2 bags-full!

No comments:

Post a Comment