Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Middle School Registration

Today marked the end of summer for me. I had my opening teacher's meeting this morning and stepped into my classroom for the first time in 3 months. It was painful to get up with an alarm and even more painful to actually get dressed for the day, but I did it...for the love of teaching children (roll eyes now). It was also Rylan's first unofficial day of preschool for the year. It was a tease for him and I picked him up crying. I felt really bad because he was having so much fun. Now he has to wait a week to go back because I am going to avoid having to go to work until I get paid for it. His normal day at school is just as short as mine. 2.25 hours. Yes, I work a job for 2.25 hours. I don't even think that it qualifies as a job being that some people get lunch breaks that are longer.

Bryson had middle school registration after my meeting. We stood in a line to get his homeroom teacher's name, PE clothes, pay for stuff, and pay for more stuff. I can only describe my hour wait as a cross between Disneyland (the waiting part) and a sauna (the un-air conditioned room). We stood patiently in a sweatbox filled with middle school students, some of whom forgot to put their deodorant on this morning, take their weekly shower, or change their clothes over the entire summer. Had it been a cool day and the line short, I may have signed the PTO volunteer list, but I just wanted the heck out of there. Next year, I think I might just send him on his own. I'll just call it a test of responsibility and independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment