Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Grocery Shopping

In preparation for Bryson's belated birthday party, I did some late-evening shopping at my local Ralph's. I love grocery shopping after the kids go to bed. The store is empty. They dim the lights, and the crazy people come out and enlighten my evening. Case in point: It started immediately as I entered Ralph's. 2 homeless men were standing around the sanitary wipe stand that the store leaves out so people can wipe down their carts. One of the men had pulled out a large amount of them as the other watched and then they started to discuss...."Oh, they are so soft. You should feel them." "Smell them. They smell so good." "I bet they taste good." (Huh?) "Yeah, you should take some for later." I was amused and thought about standing there longer to see where the conversation would go, but I didn't want to be rude. I am sure that homeless people get embarrassed too.
I made my way around the store and finally hit my favorite aisles. The frozen food section. If you are alone and the music is just right, you can feel like a rock star, or a model, or anyone super important. Tonight it was Journey's Don't Stop Believin'. As I slowly walked through my first aisle, the motion sensored lights began to come on one at a time. It's like having magical powers. Tonight, I got to do it twice. After my first aisle, I turned the corner, and the frozen snacks and ice aisle was empty. So I took my walk. It was beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm telling you, this is best seller material. I'm great at marketing. When you're ready, we'll do a book ;-)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete