Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bryson's Birthday


Today is Bryson's 12th birthday. He was so small when he was born (4lb, 13oz) and you could curl him up in the palm of your hands. I am reminded of so many things from 12 years ago. Jerrod and I were still in college making a collective $300 a month to pay for Top Ramen and toilet paper. We drove 1 hour to Mom and Dad's every 2 weeks because we needed to do laundry. This boy has transformed our lives in so many fabulous ways. Because of him, Jerrod and I both settled on majors and got serious about school. Because of him, we became a family. Because of him, we wanted to have more kids, and because of him, we don't want to have more. (He sometimes acts like me and I can't stand it. Or when he says "I know!") But as this day begins and everyone else is asleep but Bryson and me (B playing his new video games, me blogging), I am filled with a rush of emotions. 13 better not be this emotional. Please tell me that is isn't. I may not look forward to their birthdays anymore. Good news though, I know they get bigger and I know that there is no way to stop that, but I know that he doesn't stink yet and that he doesn't have armpit hair. He too, like his mother, is still waiting for puberty to hit. There's no rush to grow up. Take me for example!

2 comments:

  1. truly beautiful entry. thanks for sharing these thoughts & feelings. i can only imagine what the journey of parenthood must have been like for you two. when i think of you, now, i feel grateful that God has blessed my friends with such a wonderful life & a very happy "ending."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too remember Bryson when he was very small. It's hard to believe that was 12 years ago. Wow. You're old. ;) It seems life goes on with all of us. I'm glad to read about how you've been so blessed through it all. I just found you're blog, but will have to check back in more often. You're a very entertaining writer - thanks for sharing.

    -alex

    ReplyDelete