Thursday, March 4, 2010

Consistency Sucks!

It's the key to discipline, I know....but sometimes it feels like I am the one receiving the punishment. 2 weeks ago when the decision was made regarding our oldest son's restrictions, I cringed in a major way. I was so proud of my husband for being stern and strong. I was even a little scared myself from the tone of his voice. So when he turned to me and said (asked), "You can make sure that he comes home right away and does his homework. No tv, games, friends, fun....." Well, there goes MY freedom. I can't use the tv as a babysitter or send him outside to play with the neighbor or even his brother. I have to make sure that my son is miserable.

OK. It's been easier than I thought. I believe that it's the teenage mentality, anyways. He's finally done better on his school work and is using his imagination more (to which he once claimed that he didn't have). We've found drips of paint on his carpet and all kinds of wierd concoctions in bowls left on the counter.

It did get worse though. The week before, he and his brother were left in the house as I went to run an errand with the little guy. I specifically told them NOT to play games and then as I slipped into my heaven (bed) that evening (ok, afternoon for my nap...it was suppose to be a short cat nap), I found a stylus (that pen-like thing for their hand-held games). I could no longer leave them alone because I couldn't trust them to obey what I asked of them. I take 3 boys with me everywhere now. It's not that I LOVE to go shopping with 3 boys who all want/don't want something to put into the shopping cart. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the grumbling that comes when I say, "Trader Joes!!!!!!"

This afternoon was THE BEST! I picked each kid up on my way to the doctor a half an hour away. The first complained that it would be "so boring" and the second was just whining about a hurt toe or something (self-inflicted bike injury caused by trying to stop the wheel with one's toe....duh!) The 3rd, well, he was great. He fell asleep with his head dangling to one side like he was going to choke himself and drool dripping down the side of his cheek. As if things couldn't get any more complicated, the doctor's office greeted my children with lemon water and cookies. That wouldn't be so bad, but one son can't eat butter cookies due to allergies so I hesitated, but the other 2 gave me those "I'm soooo hungry eyes and if you don't let me have just ONE cookie, I am going to complain until you say the words I know you REALLY want to say." We settled on a cookie each and the other had a piece of candy from their lovely cavity jar. The water was another mistake because the little guy took his cup and happily skipped to the beautiful, maroon, suede chair and even more happily, spilled the water into the back crease of the cushion. Now as I cleaned that up there was the issue with the bathroom, but if I keep going, you are going to think that I am incompetent and cannot control 3 boys at once. Well, it's the truth, but I've seen worse.....almost every day!

What a day! It's just not what I've gotten use to in the last year. My trips to the grocery store or the doctor's have become a mini vacation and in one month I've been reminded that in the world of parenting, there is no such thing as vacation. BooHoo!

2 comments:

  1. What terrible kids, total brats! Just kidding. Your kids are great. Think of all the terrible things that we did at their age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...like kick my sister in her stomach as hard as I could or steal flower bulbs from the nursery bulk bins. I don't understand? What are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete