Friday, August 27, 2010

Boy CrAzY!

I had a "proud" moment a few days ago and I still think of it and it makes me laugh. I am not sure if would be considered something that makes me proud or if it just makes me feel good about my genetic gene pool, but I feel the need to share it with the world. It's kind of odd, but it is a sign of what I have to look forward to as a mother of 3 cookie-cutter boys. When I say cookie-cutter, I mean that they pretty much look like replicas of each other at different stages of life.

My oldest son, my dishwasher-unloader, white-hair picking, guitar-playing, brother-annoying, smart-as-heck-just-turned-13-year-old is out of town with his grandparents. He got to take a trip of a lifetime with the person (grandpa) that will provide him everything he's ever dreamed of because that is my dad's love language (hopefully you read the book too....very informative....love tanks....yeah...). I haven't heard from my son in a couple days because he is probably playing endless video games, watching movies-galore, and eating great food at restaurants that his own parents can't afford to take him to.

Here's the odd part of the story: He wasn't avaliable to pick up his middle school registration so his brothers and I went for him. Things went smoothly until I noticed an annoying giggling sound behind us. It got louder with some little high-pitched squealing and also some whispers and shooshing. OK. I turned around and there they were........a gaggle of girls (about 5 of them) following us around and pointing. I totally "get" the middle-school girl drama. I've been there, but Bryson wasn't even with me. He was in Albuquerque. They were following my lil guys around because they looked just like my oldest. Good grief! "He's sooo cute!....*squeek, squeek*" I couldn't understand half of what they were saying because my adult ears don't pick up on tone of that decibel.

So my oldest has a nickname now..."Bon-bon". I heard it a few times between the giggles. I vaguely remember hearing girls yell it out into the quad during Open House last year and I guess I didn't think that my son would have a bunch of girl groupies. He never talks about girls even when he is with his guy friends. I can imagine that they are as annoying to him as they were to me. One day, though, I am sure that things will change and the hormones of teenage life will mature and "girl-crazy" will hit our household like a trainwreck.

I thank God for immaturity. I thank God that my boys are late-bloomers. I thank God that they love to share with my husband and me. I pray that my boys will continue to be humble soldiers of God even when they realize that they are "cute" to the opposite sex. I pray that they know that good looks don't get them anything more than good looks. I pray that they always have the utmost respect for the opposite sex even when they act like a gaggle of geese. I pray that they strive to take the long road and do everything the "right" way even if it means that it is more difficult.

I've heard it so many times from parents that have girls..."Oh, it's so much more difficult to raise girls in this society." I don't know about that. I think that boys may have less "drama".....but they still have it. The challenge in boys is to raise them up to make mature decisions on how they will deal with girls/women. We need to provide our boys with enough wisdom and knowledge through words and actions about how to treat a woman and raise them up to be better people. We are raising our sons to be future head's-of-households and that is a very heavy weight that should not be taken lightly (oxymoron....LOL!).

1 comment:

  1. I wholly agree. <3 I have been saying the same thing for many years. Preach it, sister. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete