Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Need You Now!


I heard this song a few weeks ago that I really started to like just recently. It’s one of those drown-your-sorrows-in-your-glass-of-beer kinda contemporary-country-love-songs. Lady A (as I’ve read their fans call them...according to my very reliable source, Wikipedia) has written a song about a day in MY life. How could they know about my most personal-daily relationship between my husband and me? They must be like God or Santa (my middle son explained to me that they could possibly be the same person because they both know EVERYTHING).

Let me paraphrase some of the more meaningful lines from the song and describe how I have come to believe that it is about me:

So this lady (me) is looking at some pictures and can’t fight the urge not to call this guy (my husband) that she is missing. She is wondering if he’s thinking of her because she thinks of him all the time. She told him that she wouldn't call but she's lost all control. It happens to be a quarter after 1:00.

There are two ways in which I relate this part of the song to myself. First, the romantic me says, “Yeah, that’s how I feel at a quarter after 1:00 PM in the afternoon when I miss my husband so much that I have to call him just to say ‘hi’ even if I know that I’ll be interrupting his work…..but I love him so much that I NEED to hear his voice on the phone.” The second situation in which I can place myself into the song looks a little like this: I am sitting in my room on the bed with the phone in my hand and tears in my eyes and I am crying to my husband, “It’s a quarter after 1:00 and I NEED you to come home and help me tame these kids……I can’t handle it!!!!!” Oh, and the song gets better.

Verse two is where the man (still me) is taking a shot of whiskey staring at the door waiting for this girl (my husband) to sweep into the room. It’s still a quarter after 1:00.

Don’t get me wrong, I am sure that a shot of whiskey at 1:00 AM is great, but sometimes, it may be better to have one at a quarter after 1:00 PM. I have considered a similar drink for a similar time. The other take on this verse would leave me as the “puppy” waiting at the door for my husband to arrive home….and isn’t that the truth?!!! I love the guy so much, but I have to be honest, I’m usually chipper due to the fact that he’ll be there to take care of the kids.

So when you watch this video, remember me rolling on my bed in my flannel PJ’s, whimpering and crying about needing my man because I am an incompetent mother. Or maybe you could visualize me taking a shot of whiskey as I sit at my kitchen table with dinner burning on the stove in the background. I hope that I didn’t ruin the song for you.

1 comment:

  1. AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant. :-D HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete