Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Abandoned!

Yesterday: I remembered where my hidden box of truffles was, I got the kids to school on time, work wasn't too bad, Rylan went down for a nap without complaining, I squeezed in 6 miles on the tread, I successfully contacted 2 parents about their child's poor grades, I forgot to pick up my son at school....WHAT?!!! That doesn't fit! So, um, yeah, I forgot to pick him up....well, I didn't forget to, I was just 10 minutes late. It was obviously enough time for him to believe that I had abandoned him. I do feel terrible. I looked up at the microwave clock and realized that I was late. I grabbed Rylan and left the house without shoes and sweaty from my run. We drove up to the office and he came running out with tears in his eyes. He sadly mumbled, "You forgot about me." I started to cry and I had to pull the car over to give him a hug. Although he is in 4th grade, he is so small and helpless when it comes to emotional incidents like this. Am I the worst mom ever? I believe so. At least for yesterday. We got home and then he told me that he forgave me. Not that it made me feel any better, but I knew that he had recovered. That is when I started thinking about just how embarrassed I was. Not to him, but to the office staff at the school. I don't have a very good record with the office staff. Jerrod says it's no big deal, but I've gotten caught trying to smuggle my lil guy into the classroom to volunteer in Cayden's room. I knew that I wasn't allowed to, but tried to anyway. I upset the secretary when I came storming in after picking Cayden up as he was having an asthma attack. I wanted answers, but instead made a personal attack. That whole day is still a blur and I am still not so happy with the outcome, but I have learned to better prepare my son so he can take care of himself when others can't. It just seems that every time I enter that office, I "break the law". I don't intend to, but I do. Again, Jerrod says it's all in my mind, but I've worked in a public school and I know THE TRUTH!
But back to the issue at hand. I know that my son's feelings are important. I should make a better effort to be prompt so he will know that he is loved and cared for. I will be there on time today. I will not dwell on what I think the office staff thinks of me because, in the end, it's unimportant. So I am crazy...I already know that. There really is no use in trying to hide that fact. Good moms make mistakes....or in my case bad moms make bad mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment