Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving Was My Favorite Holiday

For years and years, I looked forward to Thanksgiving Thursday all year long. It may have been the overendulgence of cranberry jelly, stuffing, and apple cider. Maybe it was the unwritten rule of being able to ask for seconds on pumpkin pie and an extra spray of canned whipping cream without feeling guilty. Whatever it was, just had me counting the days 'til the Big Turkey Feast.
As some may know, I have recently been placed on a gluten-free diet. It was a sad day when the doctor said that I had an allergy to flour. My first thought was that Thanksgiving Day was dead to me. It was just any other turkey and mashed potatoes meal. I tried to "psych" myself out and pump up the excitement. My friends sent me gluten-free recipes and articles, but as the day approached, it clearly had lost its magic. I was able to have almost everything, but knowing that I had to be careful made the meal so, hummm, like a diet. So I search for a new favorite holiday; one in which I do not have to make any sacrifices. Halloween was a disappointment because Twix bars (my favorite) have that crunchy cookie.....made of flour. Christmas has never been a favorite of mine, except for the shopping part, of course, ingrained in my genetic disposition as a woman. How about a Jell-O day? I am sure that there is one. That would be perfect for those who live a gluten-free life. All the jell-o and pudding pops you can eat in a 24 hour period under that same unwritten rule...I bet you could even use the canned whipped cream too!

No comments:

Post a Comment