Friday, December 11, 2009

It's NOT a Snuggie!

Today I write this entry wrapped in a warm handmade blanket. I am sick, apparently the flu, and a student gave me the best present ever just when I needed it the most. I had a feeling that I'd be in this situation because I have not sent all three boys to school on any of the days this week. It started with Cayden. He was sick through the Thanksgiving break. Next, the baby and then slowly the oldest showed symptoms and finally it came to me. Not unpredictable, but as a mom, I tried hard to be strong. I took last evening off from motherly duties and slept and burned the fever and chills off. This morning there wasn't a fever, just a little dizziness, so I thought that it would be ok to go to work. I'd have to drive everyone to school anyway. I don't work that long and it is so difficult to get a substitute for me.
So, I took my position in my leather-like office chair behind my desk and performed my usual duties until the students arrived. I read the newspaper, ate some Cocoa Pebbles, made my tea, and switched the radio to appropriate classroom music (uh, today's choice was a jazz station which ended up NOT being appropriate so it was turned off).
The kids came in and I immediately felt nausiated. Work has that effect on me, but this time I think it was my sensitivity to noise. I made it through most of my first class before I had to make my run to the bathroom. Yes, I barfed. I was not as well as I thought I was, but I had to make it through 2 more classes. The second class brought me great joy because first, I was gifted my blanket, and second, most of the students understood the lesson and could work independently. I assumed that I could make it for one more period. I survived the third. It isn't too difficult to figure out multiplicative inverses. Thank God for an easy lesson. It would have been even better if each one of my students hadn't asked me "Is that a Snuggie?"

It's much better than a Snuggie because it got me through my work day. I am hoping that it will get me though the afternoon when my own kids get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment