Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Little Note About Eggs....and other stuff

The economy is bad. The budget is small. As you may have read in previous posts, our family has been transitioning into self-sufficiency. We have organic produce growing in our garden. We compost. We don't use the tv or internet on Sundays. We force our kids to fly kites and run around at these grassy places called parks. Our sons DON'T have cell phones! (Last week I lectured them all on how to make an emergency collect call from a pay phone-if they can find one) I've been teaching myself to sew...my own clothes. Our greatest joy, lately, has been the lovely eggs that one of our hens has been leaving us just about every day. I call her Fluffy-butt, but in my mind I have named her Mother Clucker (I don't say it out loud anymore because it would be considered a little inappropriate...so my 14-year-old says).




The eggs are brown and smaller than the grade-A extra large Costco beauties, but whatever, they are NOT from Norco and they taste better. The ritual is that we wait for an awful sound coming from the back yard (to which even the bunny is confused by because she always stops, stares at me, and gives me this look that I interpret as, "WHAAAAAATTTTT???!!!!") and then all go running to the coop and lift the nesting box and either go back to the house sad, but with anticipation that she will lay soon, or happy with a little, warm, tan egg in-hand. Those waiting days are pretty pathetic. Usually 3 of us stand looking out through the patio door and 1 of us leaves crusty finger and lip marks all over the glass.

Today was an especially "fun" day because we had our first tragedy. Yes, we were excited! Yes, we ran to the coop. The little guy held the egg so gently all the way to the kitchen, but by some divine inspiration from the egg-laying-god, he decided that jumping up and down would be a suitable activity. So the egg was jostled in his tiny hands until it dropped and cracked on the tile.

Needless to say, he had a scrambled egg for breakfast....and proclaimed, "tastes just like a REAL egg."

1 comment:

  1. When did you become so articulate? Must be in the Jeans. You rite reel gouda!!!

    Daddi

    ReplyDelete