Monday, May 10, 2010

Lucky 13


In essence, it wasn't really ever "luck". As we walked our way to the HB pier, hand-in-hand, Jerrod said something to me that really struck a chord. He said, "God loves humble beginnings." I think that anyone could further add to that by saying that God loves humble people. God loves all people, but maybe humble people are following His plans a little more closely. And as he said that to me, it gave me comfort. Maybe we are closer to God than we think. Maybe I am closer to God than I feel like I am on most days.

Jerrod and I did not begin our story as most couples do. After 13 years of marriage, I feel like I finally have a good sense of what kind of person Jerrod is and I am so thankful that God was ALWAYS looking out for me. We didn't really know each other all that well, and I think, that when you're 19 years old, you don't even know what kind of person you are anyways. It is easy to say that "it's all part of a plan", to which I DO believe it is, but it has always been more complex than "just a plan".

From humble beginnings we came, we struggled, we learned, we made mistakes. But through it all, we still strive to be humble people in our marriage, with our friends, at our jobs, etc. It's hard enough to humble yourself and to just listen to God speak in the quietness. It can be a difficult task to be humble and just listen to your spouse sometimes. If there is one thing that always saves our marriage from someone walking out the front door, it is humbleness.

My heart continues to grow for the man that I love day after day. He is a great teacher to my sons as well as to me. I observe him as he makes difficult decisions and I know that he strives so hard to be the man that God wants him to be. With that in mind, he is almost always patient, listening for God to speak to him. He is always studying/researching to follow the footprints of other Godly men. He is a humble man and is continually humbled by God.

If there is one thing that I can teach my sons, it would be that in meekness, comes strength. I see my sons grab my dumbells and pump some iron, but I'm not talking about that kind of strength (plus, 5 lbs probably won't get 'em very far). I'm speaking about the submissiveness to God's plans for their lives and relationships.

So, as I've said, it was never luck, it was always God and I trust that he will continue to bless my husband and me with valuable learning experiences, joy in time spent together, and passion for each other.

And just to add to the humbleness, I added a lovely picture of us at a medium size, instead of the small....'cuz I'm a 'lil stinker! (It was getting way too sappy in here for me)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. What a great reminder to us all. Gary and I will have our 13th this September and boy have we learned a lot over the years. And there's still so much more to discover, refine and change completely. Amen for teachable spirits and humble hearts. Congratulations and may God continue to richly bless you! -Ami

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly done testimony to God (with a humbleness about it). You and your husband and family are truly blessed to have an understanding of what God can do with all of us if we just take the time to listen and wait upon the Lord. He does have plans for us, but we must learn to be patient.
    God is great and working in your lives. May be always continue to bless you! (I still remember you in Chem.... how long ago it seems) anna richards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Kato-Bonner story. I never would've seen God working the way He has... I can remember a drive to dinner early in second semester sophomore year. Before we'd left campus, I was already wide-eyed at your news. At 19, I was far from thinking of marriage or parenthood, and I had no idea what to say to you. That semester you taught me a lot about humility and grace. I remember being worried for you...who was this quiet guy that you'd decided to spend your life with? But, by the time we made it to Redding for your wedding and I saw the Bonner family and the church there in action, I'd gone from concerned to happy for you! I am thankful to have learned so many lessons about grace, humility, honesty, and youthful wisdom from you two. I am proud of the woman that you are and thankful for your friendship albeit way too infrequent that we spend time together! (Maybe you can work a trip to Germany into your new, tighter budget! Seriously!) Love, Cass

    ReplyDelete